Sunday, January 28, 2007

The LORD's Day, January 28, 2007

Overflowing With God’s Goodness
Psalm 63

My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods

David was going through some tough times. He tells of his condition in verse one:
O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you,
my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

Some group of men was seeking to take his life. (v.9) David seems to have this problem of people being jealous of him and envious of God’s favor upon him since his youth.

Look at the exchange between him and his brothers in I Samuel 17.28-30. This happens today. Men are jealous of the anointing of God upon a person. Those who are anointed for special service are often pursued and others seek to bring them down. I am astounded at the criticism Billy Graham has had to endure. I remember back in Bible College (in the 70's) questions being raised and then his finances and coming out clean. I remember back a few years ago a couple of people in the church here criticizing him. I thought, “I’m done. If they find fault with Billy Graham, I don’t stand a chance coming close to satisfying them.” I was right. They soon left Dwight L. Moody was criticized by a lady. She said, “I don’t like the way you win people to the LORD.” Moody responded, “Neither do I. How do you do it?” She replied, “I don’t know. I don’t win people to the LORD.” Moody replied, “In that case I like my way better.”

These things were wearing David out. People tearing you down has an effect on you sooner or later. David was about to faint from his circumstances.

He knew where to go. He knew where to look. Sadly many people don’t. Many souls turn to artificial means, the world’s stimulants or a human relationship (the knight in shining armor or the princess who kisses frogs- all fairy tales ). David looked to the LORD.

He knew what to do. He cried out to God. He sought the LORD. He prayed. He diligently looked for the God.

All who have gone through a time of difficulty like this can attest to the utter thirst to have their souls refreshed and renewed. David was there too. He confesses the condition of his soul. He doesn’t go into great detail in the Psalms of who the people are that are afflicting him. He simply tells that they are and gives little hints about what the trouble is.

Early in this Psalm he tells how his soul is in thirst. (v.1)

The emotions of David are down. He is drained. He is in great need. He has reached the end of his own resources. The man himself is close to passing out.

It is noteworthy that as David prays and seeks the LORD in his troubles God begins to deliver him emotionally and mentally. Often this happens to the man or woman of faith. Before the deliverance or intervention of he LORD comes, the LORD begins to lift their spirit. We see this process and progress in verses 2 thru 4.

* I have seen You work

* Your love is better than the springtime

* I am surrendered to You Your plan, Your will, Your purposes.

By the time we get to verse 5 David is already thinking about having his soul restored and his cup overflowing.

My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods


When we got through difficult times like David was going through we can have hope as he did that our souls will be fulfilled.

1. David describes this blessing in terms of food.

I remember when I was a kid at this time of the year growing up in Bellmore. We lived in Cape Cod and when you entered the side door you came right into the kitchen. We would play outside on those cold winter days and we would come in just before dinner. Often my mom had spaghetti cooking and we could smell it and we would say stuff like, “We are starving ” The steam would fill the room and the flavor of everything cooking. My mom would say, “Go wash up and it will be ready in a few minutes.” We would wash and wait for it to be done. Again we would ask, “How much longer? ” “Just a couple of minutes,” my mom would answer. We would respond, “We can’t wait We’re starving ” This is what David was experiencing in his soul. Then we would eat. Oh did it taste good. Mom would ask if we wanted more when we cleaned our plate. We ate until we were full. Sometimes we would be stuffed. David is talking about this experience in his soul. His cup running over. His soul is satisfied.

In the summer we would experience a different phenomenon. We would go fishing. We would leave early in the morning and fish all day sometimes. We’d bring sandwiches but back then (the days before juice boxes) we didn’t bring drinks. By afternoon we would be so thirsty. Our mouths would just be longing for water or something like lemonade or iced tea. We could not wait to get home to get something to quench the thirst. It was almost unbearable.

David speaks here of his emotions being at that point. He was emotionally drained and emotionally starving. He thirsted for God’s presence. He knew he was the only one Who could satisfy all the longing in his soul. He had the LORD restore His soul before. He even wrote about it in Psalm 23. He restores my soul. Yet this experience even goes beyond restoration. David is speaking of more.
He is talking about an overflowing experience... more like “My cup overflows”

He is talking about being filled, to have one's fill of (have desire satisfied). He is talking about to have in excess when it comes to his soul being satisfied by the LORD. God does at times overwhelm us as we walk with Him.

Remember when Jesus fed the 5,000. It speaks of the effect of the food Jesus multiplied. When they all had enough bread and fish to eat means they were glutted. They were stuffed. David is saying that God is going to over flow his soul.

2. David is so confident that this will happen.

He speaks of it without any doubt.
Mark 11:23 I tell you the truth, if anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart but believes that what he says will happen, it will be done for him.”

We are told to aks the same way when it comes to wisdom.
James 1:5-7 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6 But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord;

I believe the LORD wants us all to live like this man after His own heart. We go through difficult times, dry times, but we know the LORD. We know His power. We know His love for us as His children and faith rises up in our heavenly Father to come through for us.

I remember over some years ago when my daughter Tonya was in college in Pennsylvania. Time came for the first break and snow arrived that same day classes were out. I left and what was normally a three hour drive became a six hour one. Snow and ice and fog came. It was treacherous. I got ice so think on my windshield wipers that It was no longer cleaning off the windshield. To stop on the interstate was not only dangerous but at that point nearly impossible. I ended up looking through a little spot no bigger than my fist. Across I-80 I went. 30 mph. Trucks off to the side. When I finally arrived in WilkesBarre, Tonya said, “All my friends (they were from the Philadelphia area) told me you wouldn’t make it. Their parents didn’t come because of the weather. But I told them my dad will be here. I know he will make it ” It ended up being a great evening for both of us. She had confidence in her dad. She knew I loved her and wanted her to come home.

He talks about giving God praise after the fact.

3. He speaks of other blessings coming as well.
6 On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night.- You are always with me As he woke up in the night he was thinking about the LORD’s love and care for him.

7 Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. God’s protection.

8 My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me. I’m sticking with God. I’m following Him closely. He is the One Who satisfies all the longings of my soul.

9 They who seek my life will be destroyed; they will go down to the depths of the earth. 10 They will be given over to the sword and become food for jackals. God’s judgement will come and when it does it will be righteous.

11 But the king will rejoice in God; all who swear by God's name will praise him,
while the mouths of liars will be silenced. David knew in the end God would vindicate him. He didn’t have to defend himself. The LORD was his defender. We can defend ourselves but God does so much of a better job of it. His way is perfect

Jesus told us that in this world you will have trouble. This is a truth. Mark it down. We will experience things like David did from time to time. We will encounter dry spots in our walk toward heaven. There will be times when our soul will experience hunger.

Jesus also told us to be of good cheer because He has overcome the world! He will fill our souls as with the richest of foods. He will fill our hearts with His Word- eternal things. He will let us at times see the reasons for our dry times and our times of hunger. He is the Great Shepherd and He will lead us home!

If this morning you find yourself going through a time like this, may hope arise in your soul! May you remember He is faithful to all His promises and that He never fails. May your heart rejoice in Him. May this Psalm become reality in your life.


God Will Take Care of You!

----------------------------------------------------------
The LORD’s Day
January 28, 2007
We Worship In Singing
We Worship In Prayer
We Worship In Hearing the Word of God
Overflowing With God’s Goodness Psalm 63

*Tithes and Offerings can be placed in the box at the rear of the sanctuary*
Please join us for coffee and bagels downstairs if you are visiting today.
V
This Week
Bible Reading Psalm 64-67
Monday- Men’s Prayer Meeting- 6:30am
Wednesday- Bible Study- 7:30pm at the parsonage Psalm 64-67
Thursday- Bible Study- 10:30am at the church Psalm 64-47
Next Lord’s Day-
Morning Prayer- 10am in the church basement
Morning Worship- 10:30am(Sunday School for Children) The LORD’s Supper
Spanish Service- 4pm


In Your Prayers For All of God’s People
Remember the men serving in the armed forces: Bradley, Julia Bujold’s grandson with Special Forces in Afghanistan, Ken Brown, Pastor’s friend’s son on his third tour of Iraq recently sustained injuries. Pray for his safety. Matthew Klaus, brother of Good Shepherd parent in Iraq as a firefighter for Haliburton... Pray for them and the others away from their families. Praise God for keeping David Louis, Jake Morgan and Tom Hindelang safe during their times in Iraq. Christine Frankland, Katharina’s as she continues the radiation and Pastor’s friend Rudy undergoing radiation as well.
***********************************
*A number of nursery school families are going through difficult times. If you would like to sponsor a child presently at Good Shepherd, see Alice or call the school at 666-7503
*If you would like to help with the Sunday Morning Bagel ministry see Alice Gordon.



Notes on Our Time in the Word of God This Morning:
Overflowing With God’s Goodness
Psalm 63



Pastor’s messages are now available on the Internet
http://thesundaymorningmessage.blogspot.com/

Church e-mail: bayshorenaz@rock.com
Church Phone: 631-969-1730
1314 Pine Acres Boulevard, Bay Shore, Long Island, NY 11706-5436
Whatever you do, in word or deed, do all for the glory of God

No comments: