Sunday, February 18, 2007

The LORD's Day, February 18, 2007

Fixing Our Eyes On Jesus
Psalm 73

This is a Psalm that shows the importance and necessity of keeping our eyes on the LORD
Yet nevertheless offers hope to those who have almost slipped.
And still warns of the consequences of slipping and the dangers that could follow.

The wicked will appear to have no troubles or at least little when we are going through difficulties.

v.3 I took my eyes off of the LORD
I looked at the arrogant.
I envied them when I saw their prosperity. What a false picture of a person
Yet so tantalizing Probably the reason for the warning when restoring a fallen brother in Galatians 6.

v.1 God has been good to us- pure in heart. Why do we look elsewhere? The world, the flesh and the devil work in concert to bring us to that place. Israel’s problem, the church’s dilemma. The only solution is fix your eyes on Jesus

There are men that seemed to have mastered this.

I was talking to Lucy last night about Hudson Taylor.

When I went to China I reread his Spiritual Secret. What an incredible experience reading about him and the China Inland Mission in the land where it took place. I spoke to an elderly Chinese pastor who worked with the mission, when I was mentioned Hudson Taylor he said, He was a spiritual giant. I have many books about him.

George Muller and Hudson Taylor knew each other well.

Hudson Taylor attended the Hull Fellowship of which Mueller was pastor. Mueller was taking care of 10,000 orphans when he went to be with the LORD. Both men read the Bible entirely through 40 times the last 40 years of their life. That is part of finishing well. Arthur Tappan Pierson pastored in Brooklyn, NY and wrote a biography of his friend, George Muller of Bristol. My grandmother received it for a gift years ago when she was a young woman. I now have it and have read it. In fact I found it in my parent's attic years ago like treasure that had been buried and dug up. I read it on the way to Florida in the 1980's and talked with my grandmother about it. She recalled immediately several stories of faith from it. It is a powerful testimony of a life lived fully for God. He once said, It ill becomes the servant to seek to be rich, and great, and honored in that world where his Lord was poor, and mean, and despised.


Oswald Chambers is another person who has inspired me.
His well known devotional, My Utmost For His Highest, was not written by him but rather were chapel messages he gave to the students at the Bible College where he taught. Hs wife was a court stenographer and copied down every message. After his death she put together the well know devotional and other books. Though he is dead, yet he still speaks He came to the LORD under the ministry of Charles Spurgeon in London.

Spurgeon is a hero of mine.

I Spurgeon’s messages often and am always inspired as I read the simple profound messages the LORD gave this dear man who battled severe depression a for most of his life. Hudson Taylor traveled extensively around the British Isles speaking at churches and promoting the needs of China. At home in the East End of London he also ministered at Newgate Prison . During this time he became friends with Charles Spurgeon, who pastored the Metropolitan Tabernacle and became a life-long supporter of Taylor.

The memory of these men and the work that goes on through each them 100 years after their death is a blessing to me. They all seem to have mastered fixing their eyes on Jesus. We would do well to follow their example!

v.3 I took my eyes off of the LORD
I looked at the wicked’s prosperity. You are close to slipping when you look at people who have no regard for God and His Word and you begin to think thoughts about why they have it so good. (vs.4-5)

This was the conclusions the Psalmist reached:

1. They have no struggles. Nothing troubles them. There is nothing holding them back from enjoying life.

2. Their bodies are healthy and strong. People abuse their bodies and survive while righteous people suffer. Isaiah wrestled through this and found peace over it. Isaiah 57:1 The righteous perish, and no one ponders it in his heart; devout men are taken away, and no one understands that the righteous are taken away to be spared from evil.

3. They are free from the common burdens. They don’t have to work hard. Everything comes natural for them. They have it so easy Does this sound like thoughts you have had or things you have even said. Be careful If you have you are getting close to envying the arrogant.

4. They are not plagued by human ills. They are like teflon. They get away with murder (literally). They don’t get sick even they abuse their bodies and others. They seem to win at everything.


After he looked at all this he began to sin:I envied them when I saw their prosperity. What a false picture of a person
Yes so tantalizing


vs. 5-12
The wicked are also full of pride. They lift themselves up. They talk about themselves. They exalt themselves. They are also violent- ready to come to blows. Cruel and unjust. This is who we are envying when we get our eyes off of Jesus and onto people.

Their thoughts are full of sin and evil.

Their mouths speak with scoffing and malice. They even dare exalt themselves over God That is going around a lot today in our nation and unless there is repentance, there will be judgement. They get quite a following. The conclusion- the wicked are carefree and their wealth is increasing.

Now all this continues to bring the the mind of the Psalmist as he describes this time in his life into a deeper despair. (vs.13-16)

If you get your eyes off of Jesus you’ll sink. Peter sank into the waters of the Sea of Galilee but the Psalmist sunk into despair and lies. The enemy began to punch him. He hit him hard with stuff that take chills the blood in our veins and these thoughts followed: Surely in vain have I kept my heart pure; in vain have I washed my hands in innocence. (13) This is horrible but he is saying here that there is no value in following the LORD. See what can happen when you get your eyes off of Jesus and put them on the wicked and begin to envy them?

v.14 I haven’t escaped like these guys. My life has been tough In have problems facing me every day. Each morning I wake up to great burdens.

It is good to keep our mouths shut most of the time. I am so thankful for things I did not say, for rumors I did not repeat, for reactions I did not make. So many of them would have been created problems. I have had pity on those who have shot off their mouths only to find out they didn’t have the whole story. This was the case with the Psalmist. He would have betrayed the children of God if he had spoken prematurely. If you are wrestling like he was, Shut your mouth Go and wrestle through it and have the matter out with God. Be careful who speak to because some young believers or children could stumble in your words. (v.15)

v.16 shows us when we lean on our own understanding it can mess us all up. It can oppress us. Some of you are in spiritual depression due to trying to figure out stuff the Psalmist was struggling with. It is a horrible place to live. There is no enjoyment of life there. You miss so much of what God has for you. This type of musing troubles your spirit and it is sin because Jesus told us Do not let your heart be troubled.

Try and have the revelation of why God allows evil and you will soon be in despair. This is the mirror through which we a poor reflection. This is the glass we see dimly through. The arrogant exalted themselves over God. Don’t you be foolish Don’t go down that path. Its end is death.
So what are we to do?
vs. 16-28 Get with God, enter into His Presence and listen to His Word and (re) enter His rest

In my 50 years on the earth and my 27 years as a pastor I have never seen such restlessness. People can’t sit still. They are always on the move. There is such a lack of contentment these days. The irony is this in such incredible abundance

God has been good to us. It has been pleasant to follow Him. He has made me glad. He has been kind to me. Yet looking towards anyone or anything except Him and you will loose you footing. The consequences of living without the LORD are hard and difficult. Don’t be deceived by momentary bytes of info. You will reap what you sow God will deal with the wicked. He is dealing with them. Emma and I planted seeds two weeks ago- Five minutes later...Are they up yet, Poppa? No but they are now!

Looking at the wicked and going down the path of this Psalmist embitters the spirit. (v.21) Remember the elder brother. I am still stunned how that poor pastor’s wife missed the grace of God by making that statement about a person repenting in the last minutes of life versus a person who lives their life for the LORD and how they both get to heaven. It doesn’t seem fair she said. Do you want what you deserve? I sure don’t. Praise God for the last hour. Jesus addressed this in Matthew 20.1-16 That poor soul missed this important truth

This Psalm ends well (vs. 23-28)
God was with this man in his despair. He was holding his Hand. Kids when they don’t want to hold your hand... twisting, pulling...

God was guiding him with His Counsel through his despair. He brought him out.

He again realizes how spiritually rich he is, how God is indeed enough and all he needs and how the LORD strengthens his heart. I love it when the LORD does it. I know I am outwardly wasting away- have been for 25 years now- but inwardly well that is a whole different story. I am being renewed every day God’s taking me into His glory and I’ll be with Him forever

I love the things he is saying now that his eyes are back on the LORD: (v.28)
It is good to be near God. My foot almost slipped. I almost lost my way. I am where I belong. Wedding Reception on L ake Ronkonkoma... I am taking refuge in the LORD- not in my own understanding or what I see. I am going to talk about what the LORD has done. He has done great things for me and others. I am going to spread that around.

God has been good to me. I am going to keep my eyes fixed upon Jesus.

The LORD’s Day

February 18, 2007
We Worship In Singing
We Worship In Prayer
We Worship In Hearing the Word of God

Fixing Our Eyes on Jesus Psalm 73
*Tithes and Offerings can be placed in the box at the rear of the sanctuary*
The cardboard church in the foyer is for Alabaster Offerings. All money given goes directly to build
hospitals, churches, parsonages and Christian schools in world areas.
Please join us for coffee and bagels downstairs if you are visiting today.

V
This Week
Bible Reading Psalm 71-74
Monday- Men’s Prayer Meeting- 6:30am
Thursday- Bible Study- 10:30am at the church Psalm 71-74
Bible Study- 7:30pm at the parsonage Psalm 71-74
Next Lord’s Day-
Morning Prayer- 10am in the church basement
Morning Worship- 10:30am(Sunday School for Children)
Spanish Service- 4pm
In Your Prayers For All of God’s People
Remember the men serving in the armed forces: Bradley, Julia Bujold’s grandson with Special Forces in Afghanistan, home on leave right now, Ken Brown, Pastor’s friend’s son on his third tour of Iraq recently sustained injuries. Pray for his safety. Matthew Klaus, brother of Good Shepherd parent in Iraq as a firefighter for Haliburton... Pray for them and the others away from their families. Praise God for keeping David Louis, Jake Morgan and Tom Hindelang safe during their times in Iraq. Christine Frankland, Katharina’s as she continues the radiation and Pastor’s friend Rudy undergoing radiation as well. Sonya, Albert and Anka’s niece in Canada waiting for biopsy results. Please pray for the whole family. Kathy, Ziggy and Margot’s daughter-in-law, under the doctor’s care for a lifelong condition. Please pray for healing for all of these. Praise God for a good report on Judy Mucci. Please continue to pray for her.
***********************************
*A number of nursery school families are going through difficult times. If you would like to sponsor a child presently at Good Shepherd, see Alice or call the school at 666-7503
*If you would like to help with the Sunday Morning Bagel ministry see Alice Gordon.


Notes on Our Time in the Word of God This Morning:
Fixing Our Eyes Upon Jesus
Psalm73




Pastor’s messages are now available on the Internet
http://thesundaymorningmessage.blogspot.com/
Church e-mail: bayshorenaz@rock.com
Church Phone: 631-969-1730

*1314 Pine Acres Boulevard, Bay Shore, Long Island, NY 11706-5436
Whatever you do, in word or deed, do all for the glory of God

1 comment:

John said...

Very good. All of those ties to the men who have had huge influences in our lives. God has been very good to me too.