Sunday, June 24, 2007

The LORD's Day June 24, 2007

Better To Trust in the LORD

Psalm 118.1-9

Once again we see in the Psalms the benefits that come as a result of going through some times of testing. The Psalmist learned a valuable lesson during this time of anguish. He learned that it is better to trust in the LORD than to trust in man. He experienced the blessing of trusting in the LORD, making the LORD his refuge. It is better- so much better!

Driving to Lebanon, NH last Sat night... John- I’ll call you and you talk me in... no cell phone service... back to the 20th century- directions in my backpack in the trunk... pulled over into rest stop- I was safe. Got the directions out. Arrived at my destination.

1. Sometimes man cannot help us.

Had I trusted completely in my friend John’s ability to help via our cell phones I would have wandered around for quite a while, possibly missed the exit- and I-89 in NH is not Southern State Parkway on Long Island. There are miles and miles sometimes between exits. So my friend John was waiting by his phone, wanting to help but he could not.

The LORD is always with us. He has told us He would be and He is faithful to all His promises!

People can want to help but lack the ability to do so for a number of reasons. How many times have we said, “I wish there was something I could do”? We have desire but we lack the ability or we cannot think of things we can do. There are many situations where cannot do anything beyond praying for a person. I am not saying prayer is not all important. There are times that we want to add to our praying some further action and we cannot.

My friend Kim’s daughter, Kelly, my neighbor’s whose son is in Iraq, and the list goes on. Folks who are going through difficult times - we want to help but don’t know what to do. We pray because we know that the LORD can do what we cannot do.

It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in man.
It is better to seek refuge, flee for protection, to put trust in God, confide or hope in God .
When we are fleeing for protection, the LORD is the one we run to. Psalm 57.1 Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge. I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.

He is our hope. We will be disappointed if we trust in people or princes but Jesus never fails

2. Sometimes man does not want to help us.

There are so many charitable organizations today that you could literally give everything away to them. We can have what is being called today compassion fatigue. We should help those who cannot help themselves not those who will not.

We can encounter stingy people, who just do not want to part with any money or time or ability aid for those in need.

The LORD is full of compassion. He has pity on us. There are those who have no pity. Do not be like them! I John 3.17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him?

James speaks of this in his letter: James 2.15 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?

As believers we ought to do good to all people especially those who are of the household of faith. Galatians 6.10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

There are people who can help and lack concern or compassion or are worried about their own needs and end up hoarding rather than giving.


The LORD cares about us- He loves us so much. How much better to trust in Him! He never lets us down. He is always willing to help us if we call upon Him. As a father pities his children so the LORD pities those who fear him. He has compassion on us. He knows we are dust.


3. Sometimes man is unaware of our needs.

Deeply personal things. There are some things we keep between the LORD and ourselves. We do have secrets with God and we never have to worry about Him ever telling. He is our Confidence We can and it is better to confide in Him.

It also brings greater peace. He understands us. He knows all the circumstances surrounding us. We do not have to go into all the details when going to the LORD. He knows them. He knows all things! It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man. How wonderful it is to go to Jesus with our problems. Let Jesus solve your problem just go to Him in prayer!

Things we have not shared. Those with the gift of discernment or those who know us well may pick up on it but many times people do not. Most of the time if we do not talk about people do not know what our troubles are.


Things that are apparent to us but not to anyone else. God sees all He knows everything. He knows all about our trials. There is not a friend like him. He si the Wonderful Counselor!


4. Man’s wisdom seems right but ends in destruction. Proverbs 14.12

There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.

The LORD knows the beginning from the end He knows the future.

It sounds as if the Psalmist may have gotten bad advice from men during his difficult time. People may mean well and they may even get upset when we don’t follow their advice but I cannot tell you the mess my life would have been today if I listened to the counsel of men For me this started at a relatively young age. I was about 18, the LORD had been speaking to my heart about serving Him and suddenly people were telling me what I should do and where I should go. I am so glad I trusted in the LORD for my life’s direction. He led me on a good path- not always an easy one but on a very good one.

In some difficult times in my life people came to me and tell me things. I even had one person tell me once that they had been praying about my future and that if I would sit down with them they would tell me what I should do. Another person wrote me a letter and told me that God had told them what I should do and they were working on it. If I had listen to these “well meaning people I doubt that my life’s verse would have been what it is today, “The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places.” Psalm 16.6 That is my life today all because of Jesus. Praise His dear Name.

Man does not have the perspective the LORD has- it isn’t worth comparing Man lacks understanding and doesn’t understand the LORD’s ways or thoughts. Perhaps the Psalmist is writing his conclusions after he had heard the counsel of men and then went to the LORD for his directions. The counsel of man may seem right. It ends in destruction.

It is so much better to trust in God’s Wisdom. He shows us the right way, the good path, the road that leads to life. It is better to hope and to seek refuge, flee for protection from Jesus than to put our trust in the word of man. God’s Word is what we need

Finally,

5. Man has limited resources.

If we trust in man then we are going to come up short. We are limited in our resources. If we trust in God and don’t lean on our own understanding we will experience the flow of resources from heaven that are spectacular He will load us with benefits- every day

Our Father owns the cattle on a thousand hills My God shall supply all your needs according to His Glorious riches in Christ Jesus! He has unlimited resources. He has things and ways of working you have never thought about. He is able to do anything. He can bring about miracles of provision.

My grandmother told me of George Muller’s Orphanage in Bristol, how they ran out of food one day and they called for a prayer meeting and as they were praying the bread man came and knocked on the door of the main house. He said, “I just left to deliver my bread. The axle on my cart broke and I will not be able to deliver this bread. Could you use it?”

Then LORD is able to make you abound. 2 Corinthians 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

God has unlimited resources for His people. He is the Creator and He is the Qwner. The earth is the LORD’s and everything in it. When we reach the end of our hoarded resources, our Father’s full giving is only begun!

It is better to trust in the LORD than to trust in man. It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in princes.

We need to be reminded about this each time we face a challenge to our faith in our lives. We need to be reminded of it each day.

Trust in the LORD- He will Take Care of You!

------------------------------
The LORD’s Day
June 24, 2007
We Worship In Singing
We Worship In Prayer
We Worship In Hearing the Word of God
Better to Trust in the LORD Psalm 118.1-9

*Tithes and Offerings can be placed in the box at the rear of the sanctuary*
Please join us for coffee and bagels downstairs if you are visiting today.
Prayer in the Parsonage Backyard -6pm this evening


This Week
Bible Reading Psalm 119.1-56
Monday Men’s Prayer Meeting 6:30am in the church basement
Wednesday Bible Study 7:30pm 1312 Pine Acres Blvd.
Thursday Bible Study 10:30am at the church
Next Lord’s Day
Morning Prayer- 10am in the church basement
Morning Worship- 10:30am(Sunday School for Children)
Spanish Service- 4pm


In Your Prayers For All of God’s People
Remember the men serving in the armed forces: Bradley, Julia Bujold’s grandson with Special Forces in Afghanistan, home on leave right now, Ken Brown, Pastor’s friend’s son on his third tour of Iraq- He will be there until October. Please pray for the whole family. Billy Knapp, Jr. in Iraq with the Marines (neighbor of the church and Pastor- Billy’s sister graduated from Good Shepherd). Matthew Klaus, brother of Good Shepherd parent in Iraq as a firefighter for Haliburton... Pray for them and the others away from their families. Praise God for keeping David Louis, Jake Morgan and Tom Hindelang safe during their times in Iraq. Christine Frankland, Katharina’s daughter in need of healing. Kathy, Ziggy and Margot’s daughter-in-law, under the doctor’s care for fibromyalgia. Pray for Eloise Brooks in Sunrise Manor undergoing rehab. She is coming along well. She is in room 214. Remember Jean Louis as both he and Eloise are on dialysis. Pastor’s neighbor, John Mehler, beginning dialysis as well. Grace Martin, Edie Raevis’ daughter, doing better. Edie’s daughter’s mother-in-law, Millie Espisito possibly beginning chemotherapy soon. Reginald Mooney, friend of Terri and John Garry, with a tumor in his kidney. Please remember Pastor’s friend Kim Richardson’s (who is recovering from a heart attack) daughter, Kelly, due to begin chemotherapy soon. Please remember this whole family in prayer.

If you would like to help with the Sunday Morning Bagel ministry see John or Terri Garry.


Notes on Our Time in the Word of God This Morning:
Better to Trust in the LORD
Psalm 118.1-9




Pastor’s messages are now available online:
http://thesundaymorningmessage.blogspot.com/
Church e-mail: bayshorenaz@rock.com
Church Phone: 631-969-1730
1314 Pine Acres Boulevard, Bay Shore, Long Island, NY 11706-5436


Whatever you do, in word or deed, do all for the glory of God

No comments: