Sunday, September 7, 2008

The LORD's Day September 7, 2008

Overwhelmed By Revelation

Daniel 10.1-19

It is really a shame that Revelation is not read more than it is. This chapter is directly related to Revelation 1. If you look there this morning you’ll see the words “The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place.” Revelation 1.1 The first words are: The Revelation of Jesus Christ...” What John saw, What Daniel saw were One of the same vision. It was of Jesus Christ. That is what the Book of Revelation is: the revelation of Jesus Christ.

It had the same effect: 1.17 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet as though dead. Then He placed his right hand on me and said: Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.” - Look at Daniel 10.9-11. It is the same reaction.

Seeing this vision of Jesus Christ left Daniel and John in a state of like death. The description of Jesus Christ here is amazing. Along with this vision of the LORD Jesus is this view into the future, to times of war and struggles up to the end. This is part of the vision of Jesus. He is the Conquering King. The battle is raging today for His Kingdom. It is a battle that will end one day with victory. It is a battle between the Kingdom of God and the Kingdom of darkness.

This overwhelmed these two men of God. It is overwhelming to us as we think about it. There are times when we think of the future that we are simply overwhelmed and afraid. People are afraid of Revelation. But we needn’t be

I believe one of the reasons God gave His Word here in Daniel and in Revelation is so that we will have peace in the middle of the war. When it comes to the future...

1. We are told to not be afraid. v.12

*Don’t be full of dread.
This is a sign of depression: to be always looking on the dark side of things. Dread is a horrible state of mind to be in. It is the feeling that we are doomed and that there is nothing good now or in the future. Dread is deceiving.

Elijah expressed it in his words, when he came to that broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. I have had enough, LORD, he said. Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors. . (I Kings 19.4)

Jacob expressed when he said, “Everything is against me.” (Genesis 42.36) when they wanted to bring Benjamin down to Egypt. Joseph and Simeon were there.

Both of these men were expressing things out of dread. They were soon to find out that things were not at all as they had made them out to be in their minds. This is one the reasons we are told not to be afraid. When we do give way to fear we are filled with dread and we lose our perspective and do not see things correctly.
Their lives had circumstances in them that caused them to think the wrong way. Let’s learn a lesson here. Let’s be on our guard.

Our minds and our eyes can play tricks on us.
U.S Steel Unisphere at the NY World’s Fair: Back there in the 60's some photographer had taken some shots of people in front of it with their hands up and what turned out was it looked like Atlas holding up the world. My dad tried it with us and years later I tried it with my girls and it came out beautifully. But it is not true. My girls were really not holding the world on their shoulders. It gave an impression we they were. So it is with fear. It can paralyze a person’s thinking and cause them to imagine all kinds of things.

Don’t be terrified.

He tells John this in Revelation 1.17

Don’t be struck with fear.

Don’t be seized with alarm.

Don’t flee from fear. (v.7- the others did)
Many people avoid Revelation like the plague. We are told that there are blessings that come just from hearing and reading this book. (Revelation 1.3) Let’s read that first chapter

Don’t seek to run away- it may be a natural reaction and often is to flee from things that make us afraid but the LORD is with us and if He be for us who can be against us?


2. The Hand of the LORD is upon those He reveals Himself to. (vs.10-11)

Hand means

*Strength
He gives us strength. I love the fact that the same Hand which held the stars was the one which was placed upon John (Revelation 1.17) God’s hand on the church.

Psalm 18.32 It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.

Daniel was touched by the LORD and given strength (vs.18-19)

We all need that touch of Jesus today. We need Him to place His Hand upon us and give us strength for each day. We receive that touch in prayer and from reading His Word. I like the way the word “Be Strong” is used twice here. Similar to Psalm 27.14 with the word wait.

Be strong means to prevail, to be courageous, to grow firm, to be resolute, be secure

Hand can also mean

*Power

II Corinthians 12.9 My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. It is in our weaknesses that we get to see the LORD’s strength completely at work. I experience His strength daily but it is the critical times I feel the need and see it at work so much more. It is not so much the human spirit as it is the Holy Spirit at work in an earthen vessel. Times of testing are never pleasant but they can be joyful because of what God is doing in me.

Again as we see the Hand of Jesus in Revelation 1.17
He Who holds the church around the world has placed His Hand upon us

3. The mystery of war and perishing souls is too much for us to take in and understand fully.

These things were overwhelming for Daniel and John as they saw wars and the battles leading up to the end. We pray for souls and we pray for peace.


4. Remember in this vision of the future, Jesus Christ is standing there. (v.14)

Job said, "I know that my Redeemer lives,
and that in the end He will stand upon the earth." Job 19.25

He will be with us- immediate and distant future.
We need to hear this today Revelation is an overwhelming book. If we live through its fulfillment, the LORD Himself will be with us.

For the immediate future, the LORD is there! Already there!

I don't know about tomorrow;
I just live from day to day.
I don't borrow from its sunshine
For its skies may turn to grey.

I don't worry o'er the future,
For I know what Jesus said.
And today I'll walk beside Him,
For He knows what is ahead.

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand.

We will come through victoriously.

No comments: