Sunday, October 25, 2009

The LORD's Day, October 25, 2009

Dealing With Doubts



Matthew 28.1-20

We are in a spiritual battle today. While there are demonic forces at work today and I don’t mean for a moment to minimize that, some of the spiritual forces we as believers wrestle with are fear, worry and doubt as it relates to our faith in Christ.

Doubt is one of the flaming arrows of the evil one that he sends to our minds. That is why we are told take up the helmet of salvation. The enemy tries to work on our thinking.

When I first became a pastor there was a man who hadn’t been to church in 20 years. His wife faithfully came. I prayed for him, visited him and even got him to come once in a while. I had an old evangelist come for some meetings and on Friday night after the service Roy just kept coming to my mind. I asked the old minister if he would go with me to Roy’s home. He agreed. We went up that old country road back in the woods of that little upstate NY town. He answered the door and welcomed us in. We talked. The experience of the older minister went right to the heart of Roy’s problem. He was struggling concerning unbelief. I remember that old pastor saying, "Believe on the LORD Jesus Christ... and you will be saved." Over and over as we prayed he repeated that softly and gently. Something clicked. Roy said, "I do believe." The next evening he came to church and gave a testimony. He was faithful to the LORD until he went home to be with him a few years ago.

As I look back I realize how powerful doubts can be. They can cripple us spiritually.

1. Doubts Arise v.17

The idea of doubting here is to waiver or think twice about something. If you are going to court and you need a witness you want one whom will say this is what I saw. There is no doubt. You don’t want to say, "Well I am really not sure. I thought I saw this but now that I think about it maybe I didn’t."

To doubt is to struggle with unbelief. Thomas had this problem but we are told in Matthew’s Gospel that he was not alone.

When they saw Him- to stare at. Their eyes were fixed on Him.
They worshiped - to kiss like the dog licking the hand of its master. Moe this week while I was sick.

Some doubted (of those who worshiped I believe). They thought twice, perhaps asking themselves, "Is this really happening?" We need to fix our eyes both physical and spiritual on Him. There are evidences of the LORD all around us in His creation. There are evidences and proofs of Him all around in the spiritual realm.

This helps me. The Bible does not flatter its heroes. The Word of God is the most accurate book ever written because it was written by God. Holy men wrote as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Thomas doubted what the others told him. (John 20.24-25)

Even when Jesus appeared to the disciples in Galilee after He had appeared to them in Jerusalem, there were still some that doubted. Peter struggled with doubts (Matthew 14.31) when he was walking on the water. He thought twice about it.
Hymn writers speak of it.

"I may have doubts and fears..."
"Drive the dark of doubt away"
"Not a doubt nor a fear, not a sigh nor a tear..."

2. Jesus continues to build His Church v.18-20

We are told that in Mark’s Gospel in chapter sixteen, verse 9 through 14 that Jesus appeared to Mary Magdalene, the two on the Road to Emmaus, and finally to the Eleven. Verse 14 "He rebuked them for their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen Him after He had risen."

I love the fact that Jesus keeps going on with the work of the Church. It doesn’t stop because of our struggles! It keeps going. We have to keep going too. I have found the best way to deal with doubts is to keep serving, keep reading God’s Word. I think the reason so many believers go to other books to find answers today is that they are trying to build up their faith. I really do not get excited over other books, as helpful as they can be at times. I do get concerned that few believers are excited over the Word of God and what insights they are receiving. If you come to me and say, "You have got read this book!," I probably won’t. Talk to me about what God is saying through His Word to you- that’s where it is happening!

3. Bear With Doubters

Jude 1.22 Be merciful to those who doubt. Help them.

Don’t minimize their doubts. They are real struggles for them. Listen.

Don’t lose patience with them. They need your help. Think of how patient God is with you!

Share the Word of God with them gently. Don’t bat them over the head with it.

Share your experiences of faith and trust.

Get them to share some of theirs.

Love them.

4. Hear the Word of the LORD Matthew 28.18-20

* Faith is built up by hearing His Word

Romans 10.17 "... faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of Christ."
Jude 1.20 "...build yourselves up in your most holy faith..."


* Look at the context of this passage - the promises
Jesus has all authority in heaven and earth.

We are to share His Word with others and teach them- this helps us as well as them.
Baptism is the sign and seal of the New Covenant. It is a faith builder to all.

He has promised to be with us.

Always

To the very end of the age

One of the things we need to be reminded again and again is that we are in this journey together as we make our way to heaven. Those who struggle with their faith and wrestle with doubts are to be shown mercy and treated kindly.

As we make our way through life’s experiences, let’s keep our eyes fixed on Him. Too many are looking at other places today and without realizing it they are placing themselves in danger of falling. My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. Psalm 119.114 You are my refuge and shield: I have put my hope in Your Word.

One day we will be with Jesus. When We all get to heaven what a day of rejoicing that will be! The battles will all be over. For now we press on to win the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Step by step we are getting closer. My heart has no desire to stay where doubts arise and fears dismay. Though some may dwell where these abound, My hope, my prayer is Higher Ground.


So we press on, forgetting that which is behind and straining toward that which is ahead. Together we go.

No comments: