Sunday, March 14, 2010

The LORD's Day, March 14, 2010

The Call of God
Genesis 12.1-3
Abraham's call, the first in scripture whee God is calling someone from one locale to another, sets a pattern for future calls from the LORD.
Genesis, this book of beginnings, sets precedences for things mentioned in it. For example each time we see a rainbow we remember the promise God made never to flood the earth again. The rainbow's purpose is to remind of us this.
This call to Abraham constituted the rest of the Old Testament:
Abraham- Isaac- Jacob/Israel Twelves sons- 12 tribes A Nation
It found its ultimate fulfillment in the New Testament
The LORD - Abraham- David- JESUS CHRIST
Isaac was the foreshadowing of the Promised Son- THE LORD Jesus
Galatians 3.9 So those who have faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith.
The blessing given to Abraham has come to the Gentiles through Jesus Christ (3.14)
Does this mean the God is done with Israel? Absolutely not! Look at Romans 11.25-27
Abraham's call- the call of God
1. The LORD Calls Us Away v.1
He told Abram to leave three things. He called him away from:
*His Country Our citizenship is in heaven and we eagerly await a Savior from there, the LORD Jesus Christ. Philippians 3.20 We are called to be good citizens of the country we live in here on earth (I Timothy 2.1-2) but this is temporary.
I received my renewed US Passport this week. It came from our Department of State. It is on the way to the Chinese Embassy in the city to get a visa so I can go to China next month. I was born in Queens and am an American by birth. When I got my first passport I had to send the raised seal birth certificate I got at the hospital where I was born in Hollis. But my name is written down in heaven. When I was 7 years old I asked Jesus to come into my heart and my name was recorded in the Lamb's Book of Life. I an American for whatever years I will travel here on earth but I will be with Jesus forever- Heaven is where my true citizenship is.
God called Abram away from:
His People. Ur of the Chaldees was a place of idolatry. God was calling Abram away from all that. He was calling him away from all that was familiar and secure: manners, customs, values and He was bringing him to be the father of a new race of people.
His Father's Household. The LORD wanted Abraham to find security and identity in his Father in Heaven. God calls our hearts from earth to heaven. He calls us to a life that is governed by Him.
When God calls...
2. He Calls Us to a Place -v. 1b
For Abram it was to the Land of Canaan, which became the Promised Land/ Israel.
We are called and shown the way to the Promised of Heaven. John 14.1-3
God calls us to places here on earth. I believe many times it is not to a different locale, although sometimes it is, but rather to a new place of standing with Jesus. In John 4 Jesus called the Woman at the Well in Samaria to believe in Him, to have her spiritual thirst quenched with Living Water. she believed and became a missionary in that town of Sychar where she lived. (John 4.34-42)
Sometimes this call is to a deeper life, a closer walk with Jesus our Master. If He is calling you today, do not harden your heart but say to Him, "LORD Jesus, help Yourself- take me. I'm Yours!"
3. The LORD Has Promises For Those Who Obey v.2-3
There are promises for the sinner and the backslider, promises of forgiveness and restoration if they turn to the LORD.
There are many promises for obedient believers- in fact the greater our love for Jesus, the more we appreciate and enjoy His promises. It is often from the sidelines that the complaints come from.
Abraham's Promises Galatians 3.6-9
Great Nation I Peter 2.9
Great Name Our names are written down in heaven Hebrews 12.23, Luke 10.20
Great Blessing v.8-9,14 Salvation and being filled with His Spirit
God calls us. We must respond. Following the LORD is not always easy but it always filled with blessings - even in difficult times.
God calls us. He wants a meaningful relationship with us. He wants us to walk with with Him. He wants the best for us. He wants us to be ever growing in the likeness of Christ coming forth in you and me.

No comments: