Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving

Giving Thanks

Because of strep throat and all its symptoms I was not able to conduct the Thanksgiving Service last evening at our church. While I am still wobbly this morning this has not diminished my gratitude one iota!

Like many holidays, Thanksgiving evokes memories in my heart as far back as I can remember. One of those memories are when our church fed the homeless of our community. This was long before the Main Street area became the place to eat with all sorts of restaurants. Back 20 years ago it resembled a bombed out area, with many street people and people just getting by. A group from our church would put on an extraordinary dinner each year. Other churches helped. One of those, Calvary Chapel, now carries on this work in their area. Last year over 2,000 people were fed a hot turkey dinner.

I remember my Dad being home on that Day. Even though he went to heaven a few months ago, the memory of that man, his love for his family, his God and his country and life itself remain very much in our hearts.

In my life over the past 8 years, new places have to e set around our table. Our family is growing. How thankful I am for my grandchildren!

I'm thankful that the LORD called me to be a pastor. I enjoy serving Him and His flock in this way. Over thirty years ago, in a little upstate church, a lady named Lee Milligan, put together a food pounding for my family forThanksgiving. While she and many of those dear folks are with Dad in heaven today, that act of love still resounds in my heart and mind.

May each of you have a very blessed Thanksgiving! May you make some wonderful memories! God bless you!

No comments: