Sunday, June 22, 2014

Listening to the People God Speaks To You Through


I Kings 12.1-19

Wise counsel needs to be heeded. Those older than us with more experience can give a different perspective and help us see things we are not seeing. Many times they have a grip on history we do not have.

At first Rehoboam went to the right people, the elders. They gave him good sound advice. It meant that he was going to have to humble himself. He was going to have to not blame his father's administration for it blunders and sins.
This takes a measure of maturity.  He would have to put Himself in the place of a servant of the people, a thing which people love in their leader.

It is difficult for us to humble ourselves. It is very difficult for a leader to do so. There are always some people advising against it. "You will look weak. It will look like you are not in control."

All this due to his father's mistakes. He was going to have to humble himself and he was not even at fault. It takes a man of great statue to do such a thing, to keep his mouth shut, to bear the sins of others, to make himself a servant... 

So he went to the young men.
Notice that the young men he went to served with him.
They were young.
They were in experienced.
They had not shepherded flocks.
They were pandering to Rehoboam's ego.
He foolishly went with their advice and rejected the wise counsel of the elders.

The elders knew the people. They had experience governing. They understood the complaint and gave Rehoboam the proper way to answer them and gain their favor.

It is always appropriate for us as followers of Jesus to walk in humility of spirit.
We are exhorted to in God's Word. Hard to do but so much better than if we do not.  Jesus is our example. I am continually  blown away by Him and His humble lowly spirit.
If we do not humble ourselves, the LORD will see that we are humbled. Rehoboam's life gives us that lesson.

1. In difficult times it is important to get advice and counsel on situations. 
Proverbs 11:14 For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers. 

Good counsel  from godly men is hard to find.
Proverbs 20:6 Many claim to have unfailing love, but a faithful person who can find? 
When it is found...

It needs to followed.

It needs to obeyed.

It needs to be honored.

Notice that not only were they young. They had grown up with him. The elders were the men who had served with Solomon. Two different perspectives.

Years ago God put it in my heart to learn from the older pastors. I would meet them for lunch, hang out with them at meetings, invite them to speak to the church and to this day I am still in touch with a number (Although as I get older that number is thinning out!)

It is amazing how someone older can give us such a different perspective. They can help us see things we would miss. 


After graduating from Bible College I attempted to go on to Seminary for a Masters degree. It didn't workout. So I sought to learn from my elders. They helped me a lot. God spoke through them to me. He still does.

When I was very young in the ministry and pastoring in a remote area in upstate NY I corresponded with a pastor I knew as a boy. I still have those letters. He gave me gems of wise counsel. When I lived in that South western New York I would travel miles to meet up with the older men. I even went over into Pennsylvania at times to be with some.

You have heard me speak of the relationship I had with Brother Hazard. The man was a jewel in my life. Many times I would jump in my car and ride over to his home in Wyandanch to talk to him. I was not alone. Many young pastors would do this. From time to time he would have us to his house for breakfast. I would always seek to listen attentively.


2. God speaks through people to our hearts.
Encouragement -We like this. We need this. Hebrews 10.25
Rebuke- We don't like this but we need it.
Instruction- keep a teachable spirit. Humility is a key to it.
Exhortation - We all need this from time to time. Hebrews 10.24
Warning- Pay attention. We need the most when we think we need  it the least.

Satan can speak through snakes and people who behave like snakes.

We need to test the spirits.

1 John 4:1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 
Watch out for people who have a hidden agenda or who have not been steady in certain areas of their lives. Don't follow a bouncing ball. I would not listen to someone who lives far above the people off ministry funds.
Hebrews 13:7 Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith.  It is not just good sounding words, it is their lifestyle.

3. Tests for the Words People speak to you.

* Does it sound like something Jesus would say?
* Is it scriptural?
* Has this person been known to give bad advice?
* Are they projecting their own issues?
* Does the person giving advice have elders in their lives, living or dead?

We need to seek wise counsel, seek godly experienced people out.
We need to seek the LORD. As we do He will see we get people to help us.
We need to listen  to those who come with good wise counsel.

Rehoboam's failure at this point was his demise. Foolishly rejecting the counsel of his elders, those who knew what he should do,  who were on his side and embracing and following the bad advice of his peers, he turned Israel against himself and split the nation.

My body, soul and spirit were crying out for rest the past month. I ignored them. It was all good stuff I was involved with. Two weeks into this insane marathon a close friend asked me, "Have you taken a Sabbath this week?" I said , "No, not for the past two weeks." He didn't say anything else. His silence was enough. But I kept going and going, until yesterday.

Yesterday I did nothing. I didn't even leave my yard. I think the thing that tipped the scales were the two folks who told me Friday, "You look tired." The LORD spoke through them. That was enough.

Listen to the people of God who love you and care about your soul. Those who have your best interests at heart, who are concerned about your life, they are the people to listen to. God speaks through them.

This takes humility. Be like Samuel, who when he realized the LORD was calling him and not Eli.

1 Samuel 3:8-10 A third time the LORD called, “Samuel!” And Samuel got up and went to Eli and said, “Here I am; you called me.” Then Eli realized that the LORD was calling the boy. So Eli told Samuel, “Go and lie down, and if He calls you, say, ‘Speak, LORD, for Your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. The LORD came and stood there, calling as at the other times, “Samuel! Samuel!”Then Samuel said, “Speak, for Your servant is listening.” 




No comments: