Sunday, July 17, 2016

Your Integrity


Psalm 7.7-8

David is asking to be judged by his own integrity.
That is a very bold prayer!

David was a man after God's own heart. He was not perfect. We know of a few of his sins. But he loved the LORD. He worshiped the LORD. He sang to the LORD.  He taught Israel to worship in music. The fact that we sing when we come together in the 21st century can be traced back to David.

David was open and honest with the LORD about his struggles, particularly his emotional and spiritual ones. He did not talk to others much about them from what we can see but he did bring them to the LORD. That is the safest place to bring them. 

Psalm 25.21 May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope , O LORD, is in You.

integrity= completeness, fulness, innocence, simplicity

"Lord, to the  extent that I am righteous before You, then bless me and protect me from my enemies."

"Judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness, according to mine integrity that is in me." Now, David knew that he was innocent of the charges that Cush had been making and so, "God, You know and You judge."


Integrity=
the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
The state of being whole and undivided.

Proverbs 20.7 NASB A righteous man who walks in his integrity— How blessed are his sons after him.

Solomon's early years were a result of his father, David's upbringing. Much of Proverbs, if you read it carefully, was a result of Solomon's instruction he received from his father.

Don't you want a relationship with the LORD like David had? This man had such a close walk with the LORD that he could say to the LORD, "Judge me according to my integrity."

David had such a wonderful walk with God. For 37 years now it has been my privilege to be a pastor, to serve the LORD. But I have walked wit Him really as long as I can remember. I cannot recall a time when I did not pray and seek to obey Him. As I come down to the last years to the time allotted by God for life's journey, I look back and thank the LORD for His goodness. I stand amazed today that He loves me. I look ahead with great anticipation of eternity  with Him and all who have loved Him and longed for His Appearing.

David had a close walk with God. He was a man of integrity. In the testing times he told the LORD, judge me according to my integrity.


1. Your Integrity Takes Time to Build with others.

You know how you feel when someone says to you, "You can trust me!" or "Just trust me."  The lack of integrity is why we need to ask for references. Why we sign contracts.

People come to know your integrity by watching you live. In my life, the person with the greatest integrity was my Dad. I got to work with him when I was young.  I watched how he did business. I watched how he worked. The man never let me down. I remember as a boy sitting next to him in church growing up. I remember him being at my track meets and at home- he was the same man.  I remember the stress of doing taxes each year after he opened up his own business. The thought of cheating the government was not an option.

Proverbs 20.7 The righteous lead blameless lives; blessed are their children after them.

The closer you get to a person the more you learn about their integrity or lack thereof. If you are a person of integrity you do not mind being scrutinized. An IRS audit would not bother you. If your check book were opened to everyone it would tell a story of the lack of selfishness and generosity.

Your relationship with members of the opposite sex would be squeaky clean.



2. Your Integrity Means a lot to those who know you.
A good name...
Proverbs 22.1 A good name is more desirable than great riches.; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold.

Your good name = reputation

Promises are made.
Vows are kept.
We make our reputation.

It begins in our hearts. We make a choice and live out a lifestyle.  We follow a path we have chosen each day, each moment.

People who love us all the way to those are are casual acquaintances watch us., and even depend on us.


We can make choices that will change our reputation so...


3. Your Integrity should be guarded carefully
Need for discernment
Need for a guard over our mouths.
Need for continual diligence.


4. Your Integrity guides you.
Proverbs 11.3 The integrity of the upright guides them, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity.

Guide- show them the way
Explain things as you see them
Keep you from going to places you should not go
Point out things you would miss without them.

The simple believes everything, but the prudent gives thought to his steps.
Proverbs 14.15

Guard your integrity. It will guide you.

Proverbs 4.23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.






No comments: