Sunday, July 2, 2017

A Spiritual Heritage



A Spiritual Heritage

Proverbs 20.7 The righteous lead blameless lives;
    blessed are their children after them.

God speaks to us in His Word how the actions of a person can effect lives for generations. He speaks of blessings as well as curses upon children that come from the behavior of parents. While believing on Jesus makes us a new creation there may be and often is still healing and restoring He does in hearts and souls. I have seen some wonderful transformations!

So many are living under the blessings of godly parents today. Righteous living brings blessings. We understand that we are not free from trials and difficulties and suffering as believers. We live in a sinful world. 

However there are spiritual blessings that come to the children of people who have led righteous blameless lives. I believe one of the reasons God gave us this truth is that we. as parents, do not easily recognize it. Part of this is due to humility. Our view is different. People view our children different than we do. Jesus verified that. "Then Jesus told them, "A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown and among his own family." Matthew 13.57

I have seen where a parent or grandparent can have greater influence on a family than almost anything or anyone else! Paul eludes to this as he writes to Timothy,  "I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice, and I am convinced is in you as well." II Timothy 1.5

Satan loves to work on our minds and sell us short. He lies. heis the father of lies. He can make us feel like we have not done a good job in raising our children. 
However,  you are having more influence than you can imagine if you are living a righteous blameless life. 

There is the power of the Holy Spirit which flows through a righteous and blameless life. There is a spiritual heritage that you are leaving for your children and grandchildren and great grandchildren if you are living for Jesus.

1. The Opposite is true.

I have seen the children pay a price for the wickedness of their parents.
*Embarrassment
*Emotional Pain deep in the soul
*Financial Problems
Having to work through this and more is taxing on the soul but after a person can become a wounded healer.

People who live for the flesh do not realize what they are passing onto their children and grandchildren. They can leave them all kinds of money but it is worthless in the Day of Wrath. It does not speak to the deep needs of the human heart. The rich young ruler went away sad because he has great wealth. His earthly riches caused him to miss the Pearl of Great Price.

Some think if I just give them good advice... Everyone needs God. He has placed eternity in our hearts and there will be no peace until Christ enters it.

Sometimes we need to be reminded. We all want our children and grandchildren, those of the younger generations to do well. But the Truth is if they do not have Jesus Christ all their success is for nothing. The words we live by apply to them. The Kingdom of God is the only Everlasting Kingdom. Blessed are those in it1


2. The influence of righteous living.

Godly Righteous Living

The memory of the righteous will be a blessing. Proverbs 10.7
A reputation that is above reproach is a priceless thing. Guard it carefully.

Righteous people smile a lot more than the lost.

The influence extends way past before their time on earth.  
Revelation 14.13 KJV And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the LORD from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

We have seen this.
There is respect for their lives.



3. The Blessings Upon the Children


*Models
We continue to be models for our children long after they are grown. 
Parents are the pride of their children.

*Mentors
A great need today among young people, the younger generations.
They need heroes wo are blameless.

*Connections 
Blessings

*Peace

*Balance

*They get a day by day glimpse of Jesus.

Let me talk to you as I close this morning about my life. There have been generations upon generations of Christians in my family line. I grew up going to Sunday School and Church each Sunday. I remember studying my Bible regularly. My teenaged years were really built around the church ad serving Christ. When I graduated from High School God was already dealing with me about my future and within 2 years I was off to Bible College. Up to going to Bible College my life was like many of my Christian friends.

I am convinced as I look back now that many of the blessings I live under have to do with my parents, grandparents, etc. who lived righteous blameless lives. Like Timothy I embraced the faith they had and it now lives in me.

I read about a church this week from another denomination which today will celebrate its 150th Anniversary. It is in Missouri. It is also the final service as after today it will close. It is estimated that 3,500 people leave the church in America every day!

Here we are on Independence Day Weekend. It is the 241st Birthday of our nation. We are in such a great need of a Movement of God's Spirit nationwide. Such that will bring about a turning back to the LORD so that righteous blameless lives will be lived and future generations will inherit the blessing.

Would you join me in prayer for that in the days ahead?

Lead a blameless life. You will be blessed and your children will experience blessings.













No comments: