Sunday, August 13, 2017

Consider My Sighing Part Two


Consider My Sighing Part Two

Psalm 5.1-3

Give ear to my words O LORD, consider my sighing.
Listen to my cry for help my King and my God,
for to You I pray.
Morning by morning, O LORD, You hear my voice;morning by morning I lay my requests before You and wait in expectation.  (vs.1-3)


Consider= to discern, understand, consider
to perceive
to understand, know (with the mind)
to give heed to
to have  insight
teach, instruct
attentive, consider diligently

Sighing = Hagah
to moan, growl, utter, muse, mutter, meditate, devise, plot, speak
to roar, groan, to utter
to meditate, devise, muse, imagine

Unutterable feelings and thoughts. Words are the clothes that carry our prayers but they originate in the heart. Sighs come right from the heart out... Ah! 

Sighing= emit a long, deep, audible breath expressing sadness, relief, tiredness, joy or a similar feeling.

synonyms: breathe out, exhale; groan, moan

meditation--moanings of that half-uttered form to which deep feeling gives rise--groanings, as in Romans 8:26-27

Haggadah= "Telling" ...Passover Book
Hagah= moans, unutterable feelings and thoughts, meditate


David is praying for the LORD to understand his moans. He was no stranger to grief in his life. Like us there were times when he didn't understand why his own family was against him. There was a whole decade of his life when he was a fugitive due to a jealous King Saul. He also became the world's greatest hymn writer and  comforter of human pain... because he understood suffering, not from a book or from others but from his own heart and life.

Consider my sighing...
1. We Sigh When We Lose A Loved One.

We cry. Tears... out of our eyes, We sigh... out of our hearts and lungs.

Greg Adams:
What is this all about—this sighing as part of grief? We sigh for lots of different reasons and in many different situations. There is the contented sigh at the end of the day or when relaxing. The “life is good” sigh. There is the sigh of relief that can come in a few varieties such as “thank goodness that is over” and “thank goodness that (bad thing) didn’t happen.” There is also the sigh that comes with disappointment, frustration or exasperation. The kind of situation where in emails we may actually write, “Heavy sigh,” in response to a particular or general wrongness in the world. Connected to this kind of sigh is the sigh of resignation—this is all there is, the best we’re gonna get, no need asking for more as no more will be provided. Submissive to the realities present, subdued, resigned, beaten. Sighs of sadness, of sorrow, sighs “too deep for words.”

2. We Sigh When Our We Encounter Deep Problems
I have to believe Jeremiah sighed a lot.

Jeremiah 45.3 You said, 'Woe to me! The LORD has added sorrow to my pain; I am worn out with groaning and find no rest.'"

I have related to Jeremiah in recent days and years. Here was a man, a prophet of God who saw the deep sin and spiritual needs of the people of Jerusalem and Judah. They didn't listen. They berated him, told him and others, "The LORD didn't say that." Not one convert in 50 years of ministry but he was faithful.

Jesus sighed. 

Hebrews 5.7 During the days of Jesus’ life on earth, He offered up prayers and petitions with fervent cries and tears to the One who could save Him from death, and He was heard because of His reverent submission.

Mark 9.14 When they came to the other disciples, they saw a large crowd around them and the teachers of the law arguing with them. 15 As soon as all the people saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet Him.

16 “What are you arguing with them about?” he asked.

17 A man in the crowd answered, “Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. 18 Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not.”

19 “You unbelieving generation,” Jesus replied, “how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me.”

20 So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.

21 Jesus asked the boy’s father, “How long has he been like this?”

“From childhood,” he answered. 22 “It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us.”

23 “‘If you can’?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.”

24 Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”

25 When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the impure spirit. “You deaf and mute spirit,” he said, “I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.”

26 The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, “He’s dead.” 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up.

28 After Jesus had gone indoors, his disciples asked him privately, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?”

29 He replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer and fasting.

Luke 12.49 “I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! 50 But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed.

John 14.8 Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”

9 Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work. 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. 

Mark 7.31-37 The Deaf Man Nearly Mute
v.34 He  looked up to heaven and with a deep sigh said to him, "Ephphata!" (which means, "Be opened!")

Mark 8.11-12 Feeding of the Four Thousand
The Pharisees came and began to question Jesus. To test Him they askedHim for a sign from heaven. He sighed deeply and said, "Why does this generation ask for a miraculous sign? I tell you the truth no sign will be given to it."

I believe there were many times when Jesus let out sighs. When we do so in reverent submission we are following Him.

3. We Sigh When We Feel The Pain In People's Lives
Been doing a lot of that lately

Bear one another's burdens
Galatians 6:2
Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.

Weep with those who weep
Romans 12.15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.

People's lives are very complicated today. Abusive relationships abound. Road rage is a sign of the times we are in. We look at the world, our poor nation and we sigh. 

There is hatred, passive aggressiveness, a sharp rise in internal medicine and much of this is due to stressful lifestyles, poor eating habits...

There is a great fight against disease today... whole organizations have been formed to seek to eradicate them from the human race.

There is much to sigh over. 

Why did our LORD sigh? The Deaf Mute
In that poor afflicted man He saw but one more sign of that vast crack and flaw which sin causes in everything which God has made. When God had finished His work, He saw that it was very good; but since then tares/ weeds have been sown amid His harvest; an alien element intruded into His world; a jangling discord clashed into His music. Earth is no longer Eden. Sin has put man and the creation in bondage. If this makes us sigh, with our limited knowledge we can only imagine how it breaks the heart of God. No wonder Jesus sighed. He saw what was, how good it was and what sin had done, not only to individuals but to the whole world.

There is this thing we all do when reality smacks up against our hopes. We sigh. We exhale a burst of air that may come from our lungs, but also comes from some angst-filled place in our heart.

The deeper the sigh, the greater the disconnect between the world we hope for, and the one we live in.

Jesus seemed to live in this gap a lot. You could hear it in His testy responses to people.- Seth Barnes


Not all is lost. This is a time of great spiritual thirst, of deep spiritual hunger. Satan knows this as well and has offered up a smorgasbord of seducing spirits today. Yet the Word of God stands eternal in the heavens!  155 views on the first part of the message last week- people are hungry, spiritually hungry.


4. We Sigh When God Is At Work In Our Lives.

The sigh of happiness and joy.

Humbling.

Wonder Filled.

Amazed.

Sighing a lot as I see God provide for Haiti.

Pray for a spiritual awakening, a revival, a movement of God's Spirit in our country. We need a fresh baptism of His Spirit resulting in love for everyone!

LORD Jesus, open our ears to hear the cries of our neighbors.
Open our eyeszzd to see not only the hurt of the world but also the love that will eventually heal the world.


5. One Day Sighing Will Be Over!
One day, Not a shadow, not a sigh!

Genesis 46.29 As soon as Joseph appeared before him, he threw his arms around his father and wept for a long time.

We we stand in the Father's Presence it will be joy unspeakable!

Songs have been written about that meeting:
*O that will be glory for me
*Face to Face with my Savior
*Then I shall bow in humble adoration and there proclaim My God How Great Thou Art!

We are told about that time when we enter eternity:

Revelation 21.1 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”









No comments: