Sunday, July 19, 2026

Things The 70 Years On Earth Has Taught Me

Things The 70 Years On Earth Has Taught Me Philippians 3.4-16 Life is a journey. I have made my 70 Trip around the Sun this past week. It has been amazing journey. How God used a kid who had a lisp, was in remedial reading and was frightened to stand up and speak in a class amazes me more than I can express. I remember those days. People and their spiritual need has always been a part of my heart. I grew up caring about people, surrounded by those who did. My journey began not far from here, in Queens. I always felt God has His Hand upon me, guiding me. I look back today, this week and can say, “All the way my Savior has led me.” Along the path I have learned lessons. I have also gained some wisdom, although I am still learning each day. For the past nearly 42 years of my life I have been blessed to shepherd the flock here, the Bay Shore Church of the Nazarene. My friend, Art Alexander made this observation this past year. He said, “When I pastored in Valley Stream, I ministered to that flock, of 750-1,000 souls. You however have had a much smaller church but probably have 4,000 souls or more you have minister to.” They all look to you as their pastor. I see it every time I come to Bay Shore. Now over 8,000 around the world. I just wrote down all 196 nations in my Bible yesterday. I believe it is significant that I served 40 years as a shepherd with Pastor Johnson before he came here. As I stated I have known him for 42 years. We shepherded our flocks peacefully for 40 years, a very significant number. You remember Lot and Abraham… Genesis 13. 5 Now Lot, who was moving about with Abram, also had flocks and herds and tents. 6 But the land could not support them while they stayed together, for their possessions were so great that they were not able to stay together. 7 And quarreling arose between Abram’s herders and Lot’s. The Canaanites and Perizzites were also living in the land at that time. 8 So Abram said to Lot, “Let’s not have any quarreling between you and me, or between herders and mine, for we are close relatives. 9 Is not the whole land before you? Let’s part company. If you go to the left, I’ll go to the right; if you go to the right, I’ll go to the left.” That never happened to us! We worked side by side, 6 blocks from each other. The past 12 years I very close association. Psalm 133 He used to love to say that between the two of us we had over 100 years combined experience in the ministry. I have laid to rest nearly everyone that was here that first Sunday in 1984. Some have moved. Most are in Heaven. Many laid to rest in the place where we will lay Pastor Johnson Tuesday Morning, Oakwood Cemetery. The other is Calverton where some of our veterans are laid to rest. I have done approximately 200 funerals these past 42 years. I love what I do. Shepherding eternal souls. C.S. Lewis say man lives 100 years. The combined Dynasties of China are 5,000 years. You would conclude that the combined Dynasties of China are 50 times greater than a man. But suppose that man is eternal, his soul lives on forever. You would have to conclude that a single soul is infinitely greater than the combined Dynasties of China. The LORD has me in an Eternal Work. It is hard for me to relate to those colleagues of mine who are retiring. It is even harder now that there are some who are younger than me retiring. Now as my retirement benefits kick in it is still in my heart to serve as your pastor. Charles Jefferson, pastor of the Broadway Tabernacle in the city, 100 years ago, gave lectures to Yale Divinity School, and asked, “What dunce of a man goes into the ministry to make money?” Money has never appealed to me. If I had food to eat, clothes to wear and a place to lay my head I was content, still am. I love what God has done here, what He is doing here. I told Jeff last week that when I came here, in those early days, after the service, the lights went out, the congregation emptied out within about 3 minutes. Not so now. Where God is taking this little flock here around the world is truly amazing to me. Here is what I have learned in my 70 years, 47 as a pastor, 42 here. * The Bible Is The Word of God. Your Word stands Eternal in the Heavens. Psalm 119.111 Depending upon its promises brings great joy. Living out its directions gives you a good life. There are mysteries along the way. Like my 40 year old brother who loved the LORD, was definitely more sweeter than I and yet 26 years ago God did not heal him but took him home to Heaven, leaving a 12 year old and 10 year old son and a 5 year old little girl. 26 years later they are all serving Jesus! I love the old hymn, written by a Nazarene Pastor. It is called, The Bible Stands. The Bible stands like a rock undaunted 'Mid the raging storms of time; Its pages burn with the truth eternal, And they glow with a light sublime. Chorus: The Bible stands tho' the hills may tumble, It will firmly stand when the earth shall crumble; I will plant my feet on its firm foundation, For the Bible stands, The Bible stands. 2 The Bible stands like a mountain tow'ring Far above the works of man; Its truth by none ever was refuted, And destroy it they never can. (Chorus) 3 The Bible stands and it will forever, When the world has passed away; By inspiration it has been given, All its precepts I will obey. (Chorus) 4 The Bible stands every test we give it, For its Author is divine; By grace alone I will expect to live it, And to prove it and make it mine. (Chorus) Secondly * More is Wrought By Prayer Than This World Dreams Of. -Tennyson Pray without ceasing. If you are not there keep seeking. -John Wesley Let your prayer life become a source of joyful fellowship with Jesus. This little church here has indeed become a House of Prayer For All Nations. One blessing is that the nations are praying for us! I fell in love with the Prayer Meeting as a young teen. It was at 8pm on Wednesday Night. It was required we attend if we wanted to serve on the District Impact Team (Immediate Personal Action For Christ). So I got picked up every Wednesday Night by our Pastor’s Wife. My Dad was not home from work yet. In the back of that little church was a tract rack. It contained Gospel Tracts, little booklets. One of them was The Power of Prayer by E.M.Bounds. I took it home and read it. It got into my heart. I am still part of the Wednesday Prayer Meetings in this church at noon. A handful of us meet in the Conference Room. A thousand join us each week from around the world. Many in Uganda, Pakistan, India, Kenya and dozens of other places join us. It is glorious. Be faithful in prayer. Be faithful in the small things and you would not believe what God will do even if you were told. * Be Thankful For All The Blessings From The LORD. He grants sleep to those He loves. He feeds us with the finest of wheat. He overflows our cup. He directs our steps. My journey has been marked with His direction, daily. I am amazed often at the end of a day what God has had me involved in. He watches over us. In Temptation He is a strong and mighty tower. His goodness and mercy has followed me all the days of my life. All this and Heaven ahead! Thank You Father! * Those Who You Do The Most For Will Often Turn on You. Love them anyway! Do regret what you have done. It is the LORD Jesus Christ You are serving! Psalm 55.12 If an enemy were insulting me,     I could endure it; if a foe were rising against me,     I could hide. 13 But it is you, a man like myself,     my companion, my close friend, 14 with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship     at the house of God, Leave them with the LORD. Be like Jesus. * People Have Treated Me Far More Graciously Than I Deserve. I have been humbled by their generosity, their prayers and their love for me. Always be grateful. Having traveled around the world I can tell you we are very blessed to be Americans! Clean water, food, clothes, education, opportunities Freedom Life, Liberty and the ability to pursue happiness. I know there are those who seems to revel in America’s faults and we have many. However the generosity of Americans has astonished me wherever I have gone. When I have seen what God has done through His Church I am so blessed! Alabaster The Unisphere Photo * Serve the LORD with gladness There will be disappointment There will be times of testing But here will always be blessings to be thankful for. I think it is inappropriate to serve the LORD with a bitter spirit, a resentful disposition, a judgmentmental attitude. If you cannot be glad… not sure what questions they get asked for ordination. It has been 44 years ago I was questioned, probably 18 since I asked questions. I would interview neighbors. I would ask children what kind of a character is this person? Do they keep their word? Do they bless you? What kind of a relationship do they have with you? Are they a positive force in your life? I would ask for references where an individual has done business, been treated by doctors and had car service. Is he known by paying his bills? Have you had problems with him paying? * Be Content With What You Have Been Given from Heaven. John 3.27 To this John replied, “A person can receive only what is given them from heaven.” John’s disciples were concerned over people leaving him and following Jesus. I have been and always will be a shepherd. I am not an administrator, so I have people that are helping me. I am so glad I am not a DS, a GS, or any denomination executive! I have friends that are. They have my sympathies and my prayers. * God is good. God loves me, God is in control. * One Day All the Stuff I have accumulated is going to be rummaged through. That is okay. I will not be here for that. I will be home. My heroes are not pastors of large churches like it was when I was young. My heroes are those with more to give step aside to care for an ailing wife with Alzheimer’s, the wonderful devotional writer who spent the last decade of his life caring for mentally handicapped adults… the pastor who could have ease in his 80’s but chooses to continue to shepherd that flock. These are my heroes. I have told you often of that young doctor I met in the Port Au Prince Airport. We were both waiting for persons there. Mine was coming in from the South of Spain, an internist coming to serve in a medical clinic Yelssy Manza put together from Metro NY District. This young doctor, still in scrubs was picking up a friend who was ready to make tenure as a teacher in California. She came at the invitation of her doctor friend to see about opening up a school there. I asked this young vivacious doctor what made her leave and come to Haiti. She told me. “The thought of making a lot of money, driving an expensive car, and living in a large home did not appeal to me. I wanted to help people who were sick and didn’t have money to pay for their healthcare.” She overflowed with hope. She told me that she told her pastor in Southern California about her dream. The next thing she knew her church there was paying her Medical School debt so she could go follow the dream the LORD gave her for Haiti. She is a hero of mine. These are the souls that inspire me! More than anything I want to hear those words from Jesus, “Well done good and faithful servant.” The longing to hear them is growing intensity these days.

No comments: