Sunday, September 27, 2026
If Jesus Goes With Me, I Will Go Anywhere
Exodus 33.12-23
God was testing Moses.
He told him to go but He would not go with him. He was going to send an Angel.
Moses was not a man who would volunteer for such a task. Go without God? That would be disastrous.
He asked the LORD when told to go to Pharaoh, “Whom shall I say sent me?”
Because Moses had a speech problem, God sent Moses his brother, Aaron to be his mouthpiece.
He knew firsthand that he would not be free from Egyptian Bondage without God making it so.
He knew firsthand Who fought for them in the Red Sea battle.
He knew the people were led by God, Fed by Him every morning with Manna.
How I long for the Church in America to come to this point, their need of God. What a difference that would make! Upper Room over Supper Room
Without God they would perish.
* We never find this in the New Testament.
What we do find is Paul writing about his challenges:
II Corinthians 1. 8 We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself. 9 Indeed, we felt we had received the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, Who raises the dead. 10 He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and He will deliver us again. On Him we have set our hope that He will continue to deliver us, 11 as you help us by your prayers. Then many will give thanks on our behalf for the gracious favor granted us in answer to the prayers of many.
(Intercessory Prayers)
Jesus said that He would never leave us nor forsake us.
He also told us that in this world we would have trouble.
We can depend on this.
Peter addresses this suffering. He tells us not to think that when we go through it something strange or unusual is happening to us. We are getting answers to prayers to be more like Jesus.
When I started on the cross country team in 1971 we began running in the heat of August. The Coach let us go into the streets to run. He was the first in the country to do this. Now it is commonplace. He learned this from the Kenyans.
We would see kids heading to the beach, kids on bikes, people walking, hearing kids jump into backyard pools, ice cream trucks going by. Then we would come by them, all sweating… the last 10 days of summer were cut short and filled with strenuous running. It seemed all we did in those days was run, shower, eat and sleep. Two practices a day, running to the practices then home. It was easy to see the other kids hanging out, having fun. We were suffering. They were not.
Coach would be there when we got back, encourage us, laugh with us. Telling us after the morning practice, “Go home, swim in the pool, have lunch, take a nap… see you back here at 4.” We knew we would see him at the end. He would also be yelling while we were running. , “You are getting stronger and stronger!”
May we hear that word from Jesus today!
.
* It is obviously as we look back on it now a test.
He said this only to test him for He already had in mind what He was going to do.
It was not for Moses. He could not imagined it.
Moses knew where his strength was.
He would not go without God.
This was a little like the Road To Emmaus
Luke 24. 28 As they approached the village to which they were going, Jesus continued on His way as if He were going farther. Sometimes He does that so we will call on Him, urge Him.
David thought of this possibility and he prayed in Psalm 51. 11 Do not cast me from Your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me.
The very thought of that brings the anointed to shake.
I have watched men who lost the anointing. It is not a pretty sight. They can talk but not speak with authority. I have also watched singers, anointed ones, lose that thing that enabled them to touch hearts. It sends chills up and down my spine. God help us!
As with Samson, the Spirit departs and they do not realize it until after they attempt something for God. They lost the power.
* Moses had a desire to become closer to the LORD.
This is a good thing.
What we do not realize is that it can result in pain.
Jesus, for the joy set before Him, endured the cross.
Philippians 3. 10 I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of His resurrection and participation in His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death, 11 and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.
There ought to be a deep desire to get close to Jesus, so close we become like Him.
I have one deep supreme desire, that I may be like Jesus.
To this I fervently aspire, that I may be like Jesus.
I want my heart His throne to be
so that a watching world may see
His likeness shining forth in me.
I want to be like Jesus.
2. He spent His life in doing good;
I want to be like Jesus.
In lowly paths of service trod;
I want to be like Jesus.
He sympathized with hearts distressed,
He spoke the words that cheered and blessed;
He welcomed sinners to His breast.
I want to be like Jesus.
3. A holy, harmless life He led;
I want to be like Jesus.
The Father's will, His drink and bread,
I want to be like Jesus.
And when at last He comes to die,
"Forgive them, Father" Hear Him cry
For those who taunt and crucify.
I want to be like Jesus.
4. O perfect life of Christ, my Lord!
I want to be like Jesus.
My recompense and my reward,
That I may be like Jesus.
His Spirit fill my hungering soul,
His power all my life control;
My deepest prayer, my highest goal,
That I may be like Jesus.
Oh To Be Like Thee!
Goodness is its own reward.
* God rewarded his desire with a wonderful experience.
This didn’t come off the top of his head.
This came through deep struggle with man and God.
Just look at his history.
Some have divided Moses life into three 40 year periods, 40 being a number of Judgment.
First 40 in Pharaoh’s Palace
Next 40 on the backside of a desert
Last 40 in the wilderness leading the children of Israel to the Promised Land
Hebrews 11. 23 By faith Moses’ parents hid him for three months after he was born, because they saw he was no ordinary child, and they were not afraid of the king’s edict.
24 By faith Moses, when he had grown up, refused to be known as the son of Pharaoh’s daughter. 25 He chose to be mistreated along with the people of God rather than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. 26 He regarded disgrace for the sake of Christ as of greater value than the treasures of Egypt, because he was looking ahead to his reward.
27 By faith he left Egypt, not fearing the king’s anger; he persevered because he saw Him Who is invisible. 28 By faith he kept the Passover and the application of blood, so that the destroyerof the firstborn would not touch the firstborn of Israel.
29 By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned.
Exodus can be divided up into three parts.
Chapters 1-18 The Exodus out of Egypt
Chapters 19-24 The Law Given
Chapters 25-40 The Tabernacle Plans and Construction
At Sinai he got to see the LORD pass by.
Think with me about the Mount of Transfiguration
Mark 9
Moses was there.
I wonder if Moses asked Jesus about the disciples
They spoke of His departure (His Exodus)
Luke 9. 30 Two men, Moses and Elijah, appeared in glorious splendor, talking with Jesus. 31 They spoke about His departure, which He was about to bring to fulfillment at Jerusalem.
II Corinthians 3. 18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate/ reflect the LORD’s glory, are being transformed into His image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the LORD, Who is the Spirit.
On Mount Nebo God buried him.
He was with Elijah talking with Jesus!
Let’s keep talking about Jesus as we go through Exodus
Let’s keep following Jesus. Anywhere He leads
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment