Sunday, September 11, 2011

Facing The Judgment

Hebrews 9.23-28

There is a judgement at the time of death. When the spirit leaves the body it either goes to be with the LORD or into outer darkness. Paul wrote that to be absent from the body is to be present with the LORD. He wrote to the Philippians 1.21-24 For to me to live is Christ and die to is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I chose? I do not know. I am torn between the two; I desire to depart and be with Christ which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body,

Luke 16.19-31 The rich man and Lazarus tells us of the judgment at the time of death. It speaks clearly of 2 places.

There is a Judgment Day coming. When my daughter Theresa called me from work 10 years ago this morning right around this time and said, "Dad, did you hear what happened? The World Trade Centers have been hit with planes and both the towers have come down." I responded, "This could be it. The LORD could be coming for us any minute." Later that morning when my friends Joe InFranco and Rudy Migliore came to my house for our weekly prayer meeting, Joe asked for my Bible and read Revelation 18 and being a student and teacher of that book replied, "Not yet."

There is a time for judgment coming when time is swallowed up into eternity. Revelation 20 describes that day and event.

What we believe determines what we do/ how we behave which will all be brought out into the light at the judgment.

1. Everyone will appear before Christ on that Day. II Corinthians 5.10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

I Corinthians 3.11-13 Fire will test the quality of each man's work.
Water in Noah's time- Fire in our time. I called and prayed with Pastor Dan Eddings this morning. He is my parents' pastor. Their church is a total loss as well as the first floor of the parsonage from the floods this week. I spoke about the rainbow after Noah came out of the ark. There will be rainbows for him and that church- God's Promises! Pray for them.

Back to the fire- (water and fire have incredible good and we need them but also can be very destructive). Our life's work for the LORD will be tested. Only what is done for Christ will last Rewards will be given to those whose work lasts. Others who believe will be saved but their work burned.

The are mentions of rewards or references to them in the Word of God.
Matthew 6.20 Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven.
I Peter 5.4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.
II Timothy 4.8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the LORD, the Righteous Judge will award me on that day- and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for His Appearing.
Your giving and praying and service to Christ will have a bearing on eternity and your experience of heaven. Give yourselves fully to the work of the LORD!

2. Jesus describes the scene of the Day of Judgment.

Matthew 25.14-30 Investing the things God has entrusted to us with in His Kingdom.
31-46 The two groups at the judgment

Psalm 96.11-13 He comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples in His Truth.

3. Perfect Love Casts Our the Fear of Hell. I John 4.15-18

Love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgement... There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out dear, because fear has to do with punishment.
Aim at loving God with everything, total, complete, full surrender to Him. The hope of the Second Coming has a purifying effect. Perfect Love gives us blessed assurance of our salvation. It gives us peace. It puts confidence in our hearts about the Day of Judgment so we say, "Even so come LORD Jesus!"

With Christ in our hearts we face the judgment with peace. We face the future with confidence. We have assurance that the judgment for us will bring in God's Promises and fulfill the Hope we have. Our faith will become sight!


Maranatha!

No comments: