Sunday, July 7, 2013

Our Great God



I Samuel 2.2

1 Samuel 2:2 “There is no one holy like the Lord; there is no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God. "

The songs of women who became pregnant under unusual circumstances in the Word of God are a blessing to read.

Elizabeth had her song, Mary sang the Magnificat, and Hannah's Prayer/Song of Praise is beautiful.

I would like us to look at one verse of that wonderful prayer this morning.
It is verse two.
“There is no one holy like the Lord;
there is no one besides You;
there is no Rock like our God."

The exclusivity of God, the Eternal Uniqueness which is His.

1. The LORD is Holy.
The cry in heaven is recorded in
Revelation 4:6-8 Also in front of the throne there was what looked like a sea of glass, clear as crystal.In the center, around the throne, were four living creatures, and they were covered with eyes, in front and in back. The first living creature was like a lion, the second was like an ox, the third had a face like a man, the fourth was like a flying eagle. Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying:“‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty,’who was, and is, and is to come.”

Sacred, set apart, sinless

Pure, Righteous

Job 23
2“Even today my complaint is bitter;
My hand is listless because of my groaning.
3 Oh, that I knew where I might find Him,
That I might come to His seat!
4 I would present my case before Him,
And fill my mouth with arguments.
5 I would know the words which He would answer me,
And understand what He would say to me.
6 Would He contend with me in His great power?
No! But He would take note of me.
7 There the upright could reason with Him,
And I would be delivered forever from my Judge.
8 “Look, I go forward, but He is not there,
And backward, but I cannot perceive Him;
9 When He works on the left hand, I cannot behold Him;
When He turns to the right hand, I cannot see Him.
10 But He knows the way that I take;
When He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold.

Through our tests, more than anything else, our Father in Heaven is conforming us to ghe image of His Son, Jesus Christ.



2. There is no one besides Him!
No gods before Him.
No equal. He is Eternally Unique. He is above all gods.

There is a very dangerous movement to blend our faith with others religions.

Ephesians 4:4-6 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

There are other gods but they are empty.

Take the god of money. It takes away the life of those who worship it.
1 Timothy 6:9-10 Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.

The ones who remain in the faith but still eager for money try to constantly sell us something. Jesus was penniless.

The god of human power Jesus spoke against.
Matthew 20:25-28 Jesus called them together and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”

Be a servant!

The god of earthly wisdom is a lot of hot air.
1 Timothy 1:5-7 The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith. Some have departed from these and have turned to meaningless talk. They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm.

Reflect the Book of Proverbs!

2 Corinthians 10:3-5 For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

There are many other gods which people worship today.

1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Jude 1:3 Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people.

These gods are not worthy of comparison to the LORD our God.

Exodus 15:11 Who among the godsis like you, Lord?Who is like you—majestic in holiness,awesome in glory,working wonders?

3. Our God is an Incomparable Rock
Firm Foundation
Solid footing
Refuge
All around sinking sand
Surety in times of disorder and confusion.
A place, the only place to build a life.

We live in such confusing perplexing times. The LORD is the only firm place. He gives peace in the storms and tumult.

Hannah could not become pregnant and it was breaking her heart. She didn't lean on her own understanding. She prayed. She knew Who to go to.

The LORD Our Rock
2 Samuel 22:32-34 For who is God besides the Lord?And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strengthand keeps my way secure. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer;he causes me to stand on the heights.

Psalm 95:1 Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord;let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.

Psalm 19:14 May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heartbe pleasing in your sight,Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Psalm 18:2 The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

Psalm 31:3 Since you are my rock and my fortress,for the sake of your name lead and guide me.


No Wonder He is called Wonderful, Almighty God!

No comments: